After establishing this base unit, the concentrations of odor molecules are expressed as a multiple of single odorimetric units.
The analysis carried out was mainly focused on the olfactory intensity determination of the sample methodologies. The question we now ask is: which correlation exist between the sample olfactory intensity with the potential health risks?
It is important to note that the presence of airborne malodorous compounds is not necessarily related to potential toxic effects to the health. It is also true that may arise certain issues related to the annoying perception of odor, such as upset stomach, headaches, loss of appetite and sleep disturbances.
The two parameters that is useful to compare for this analysis are the OT (odor threshold, defined above) and the TLV (Threshold Limit Value), which is the maximum concentration of the pollutant that statistically enables an exposure for the entire working life without causing damage to health. If the OT is higher than the TLV, it means that the substance can cause damage to health also without his presence is perceived by the nose. If, however, the TLV is higher than the OT, the substance is perceived at olfactory level, but has no direct effect on the health of the person (although the perception may be disturbing).
So, there are a number of goverment regulations that manage maximum permissible concentrations, whose analysis is not focus of this article. The question that now we begin to ask ourselves and that will deepen in another article, is: which technologies we have to break down the odor molecules? Tecnosida® has developed interesting solutions, including:
- DEODORY, a system based on the use of deodorizing molecules of biological origin (enzymes)
- BIOCLEAN, the biofilter that uses the action of microorganisms that develop themselves on a special wooden substrate
- CHEMSORB, an adsorption system made by specific activated carbon, especially designed for the application, in which the odorous molecules are adsorbed by the active pores and keeping them trapped inside the coal
- WET CLEAN, a special wet scrubber in which chemical reactions take place so that the odorous molecules are transformed into salts or other molecules with a lower odor impact
- OXITHER, a special thermal oxidizer that thermally destroys odorous substances transforming them into simple and common substances
See our Case History, and discover the applications of these technologies!
See you soon with new interesting items!